Do I need a Fire Extinguisher in my shop?
My landlord says I should have fire extinguishers in my shop. Is this correct? I have a Clothing Shop in a Melbourne strip shopping precinct. The total area of the shop is 50m2. I have one employee plus myself. – David S
The Rules and Regulations say..
Workplace safety legislation applies in all states in Australia. The legislation incorporates a range of measures that apply to all businesses, employers and employees. Sections relating to how items are lifted and moved, equipment you use, waste disposal, how items are stored, electrical items in good conditions, fire and evacuation and many more are designed to make going to work as safe as possible. Local government also has guidelines and rules which work with the Australian legislation to reinforce a high standard of private and public safety. Fire protection rules and regulations are laid out in the Australian Standard 1851
The requirements apply for all businesses and that includes your Clothing Shop. Need Help?
Tenant or Landlord?
As a commercial premises it is customary for the tenant to be responsible for identification of risks and the implementation of fire protection measures unless agreed differently and outlined in your lease.
What are the risks?
The risks will be specific to your situation, however here are some things for you to consider
- Do you have electrical equipment? Computers, heating units, steam ironing equipment
- Storage of chemicals? Cleaning chemicals may be highly flammable
- Are there sufficient power points? Power boards, extension cords
- Where do you store unused stock? Plastic, cardboard, man made fabrics
- Movement of staff and customers? Well lit, ease of movement, access to exits
- Is there a staff kitchenette? Kettle, microwave, toaster-oven, coffee machine
Common Fire Protection Measures
Assessment, Installation and maintenance is the key
- Fire extinguishers Installing the right extinguisher fort the right purpose in the right place
- Fire Extinguisher Training Be sure you know how to use an extinguisher?
- Fire Blanket – is it in the right place
- Signage – a small but important part of fire safety
- Fire Escape Route Plan – Plan ahead for you, your staff and your customers
- Other – premises specific
Planning for Fire Safety Success
Running a small business is complex. There is an endless list of things to learn, do or delegate. Nailing the Fire Safety is one area that we advise the assistance of a professional contractor rather than Googling and YouTubing. Working with P&J Fire Services will get your Fire Safety right, and keep it right. Move your fire protection measures UP the priority list. Start with an assessment of your shop and then move forward at a pace that suits you. Retail is tough at any time. Don’t let a fire ruin your business. P&J Fire Services is ready to help you. Want to know more about P&J? Or just contact us today.
ph 0430 666 877
Ring Peter to discuss your Fire Safety needs
ph 0430 666 877